Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: OT Cookies!

  1. #21
    Inactive Member Starearedkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2005
    Posts
    617
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This is my favorite gingerbread recipe. It is amazing and makes TONS of cookies. Everyone that I gave it to loved it. I am using this to construct a gingerbread house for my grandpa for the holiday.

    Anyway-it is taken from the "Cookie Recipe" book

    6 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more if needed
    2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
    1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter or regular stick margarine, slightly softened
    2 tablespoons corn oil or other flavorless vegetable oil
    1 1/2 cups light molasses

    1. Thoroughly stir together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and baking powder in a large bowl; set aside. In another large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the brown sugar, butter or margarine, and oil until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the molasses and 2 1/2 tablespoons water until well blended. Beat in half of the flour mixture until evenly incorporated. Stir in the remaining flour mixture until blended. Working in the bowl, knead the dough until very well blended and smooth and shiny. If dough is stiff and dry, beat in up to 3 tablespoons more water, if too soft, stir in more flour until firmer and more managable, but not dry.

    2. Divide the dough into thirds. Place the portions in an airtight plastic bags. Set aside in a cool place or refrigerate for at least 4 hours to reduce stickiness before rolling; if refrigerating, let the dough warm up slightly before using. (The dough may be refrigerated up to 4 days, let stand at room temp for 15 minutes before using.)

    3. Working with one portion at a time, knead the dough briefly until softened slightly. Place each portion between large sheets of wax paper. Roll out a scant 1/4 inch thick, check the underside of the dough and smooth out any wrinkles that form. Stack the rolled portions (paper still attached) on a baking sheet. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or freeze for 15 to speed chilling.

    4. Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Grease several baking sheets.

    5. Use cookie cutters, shapes, etc, to cut out the cookies. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time in the middle of of the over for 6 to 12 minutes or until just darker at the edges and barely firm when pressed in centers. Reverse the sheet from front to back halfway to ensure even browning. Transfer the sheet to a wire rack and let stand until the cookies firm up slightly, about 3 or 4 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to wire racks.

    6. Decorate!


    -Jordyn

  2. #22
    chrstnwmn7
    Guest chrstnwmn7's Avatar

    Post

    I love the mess in the kitchen after the kids have been in there with me. LOL

    I am going to post my mom's butterscotch oatmeal cookie recipe when I get it this weekend. They are famous in our family!!! And I want to carry on the tradition.

    I am so glad you had this idea...I was just thinking of posting this very thing today!!! Great minds think alike!

    JuliaAM...I love your idea of a Fans Cookbook. How sweet of you to offer the work!!! I would definately be interested!!!

  3. #23
    Inactive Member gmommy04's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2004
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Teri for starting the thread and for your YUMMY recipe!!! I made 7 dozen (a double batch) of your white chocolate cranberry cookies this afternoon--we ate some and I froze the rest for the cookie trays I take to our friends and neighbors on Christmas Eve. They are JUST DELICIOUS---I think the brandy really adds a nice flavor! Thanks again---and Merry Christmas!

    Karla

  4. #24
    Inactive Member Kit_Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2003
    Posts
    313
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Julia that sounds great! I don't have Word- I am on a mac- but I could print it off from the library. I just made Peasnut Butter Kisses! Those are good. I am going to add a page to my website for my Cookies- I have some things on there now like my apple pie. I will post it up in a couple hours.
    Tracy

  5. #25
    Inactive Member Kit_Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2003
    Posts
    313
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here is my Baking website.
    http://homepage.mac.com/civicsista/PhotoAlbum76.html

    Enjoy,
    Tracy

  6. #26
    Inactive Member kitti515's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    352
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Kit_Girl:
    I just made Peasnut Butter Kisses! Those are good.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How funny! I just made very similar cookies the other night. My recipe's a bit different than yours (and calls them "peanut butter blossoms" - your name is better), but the idea's the same. I'll have to go see what recipes I can contribute. I love making cookies!

    - Becca

  7. #27
    Inactive Member gritsmommyof5's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2004
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Karla,

    I am so glad that you have enjoyed them. In my humble [img]wink.gif[/img] opinion they are the best Christmas cookies. The brandy does give them a special flavor. If you don't have any brandy you can use almond extract also. We do not drink alcohol so I have had this bottle of brandy for FOUR years..LOL. I have been tempted to take a swig though..LOL I am going to make a batch today. My husband drop a hint this morning that it is time.

    I also have a WONDERFUL peanut butter fudge recipie if anyone would like it. It's easy and the best...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •